Not many people are blessed with naturally straight hair. Those with curly and coarse hair resort to different means to straighten their hair. However, in humid conditions it can be quite grueling to keep the hair straight. Unless you use chemical straightening treatments, most other processes just keep the hair straight temporarily. Also, environmental factors like humidity and fog makes it harder to keep the hair sleek straight. Humidity can make the hair frizzy and look unappealing. What worse, excess moisture in the air could make your hair static and dry and cause it to fray as well. Therefore, keeping your hair straight when the weather is all muggy requires some effort. There are a few steps that you can take to keep the hair under control regardless of how high the humidity is. Continue reading the article to know more on how you can keep your hair straight in humidity.
Keeping Hair Straight In Humidity
Using A Brush And Hair Dryer
- Wash your hair with a good quality moisturizing shampoo. This will prevent the hair from dryness, which is the main reason for frizzy and curly hair. After shampooing your hair, apply a moisturizing conditioner and rinse your hair in cool water, which will seal the hair cuticle making your hair smoother. Once a week, apply a deep conditioner on your hair to keep the hair hydrated.
- After washing your hair, use a towel to absorb the excess water and comb your hair with a wide toothed comb. Then take about one tablespoon of any straightening product and massage it on your damp hair. If you have long hair, then use two tablespoons of the straightening product.
- Set your hair dryer on the lowest heat setting and gently blow dry your hair. It is better to dry the hair one section at a time and when doing so use a brush to comb the hair from roots to the end.
- Now, pull the hair away from the head and stretch and straighten it with a brush. Add more straightening serum as you continue to dry your hair. Finally, straighten your hair with a flat iron.
- In humidity, the oil and sweat are easily trapped in the hair, causing them to curl. So, in order to keep the hair strong during humidity, wash your hair regularly to remove the sweat and excess oil.
- Keeping the hair long during humid seasons is also a good way to keep them straight as the extra weight prevents them from curling.
- Always dry your hair using a blow dryer. And use good amount of texturizing mousse or a maximum hold hair product to keep the hair strong and straight.
- There are many straightening serums and creams that protect the hair in humid and dry weather conditions. Such creams have silicone and pomades, which keeps the moisture in the hair and prevents them from curling up during humidity.
- Laminating hairspray can keep the hair straight for a long duration, so, it can be your best weapon during humid conditions to keep the hair straight. The hairspray provides extra weight to the hair keeping it straight. Make sure that you apply the spray on top as well as on the inside of the hair. Though hairspray may make the hair stiff, it will still keep the hair straight.
- During humid weather, wrap your hair before going to sleep. Wrap the hair in a circular setting around the head and use hair clips to secure them in place. This will keep your hair from curling over when you sleep.
- Before taking a shower, massage some mayonnaise throughout your hair. After showering, gently blow-dry the hair.
- Always use a high quality straightening iron, as cheap ones do not emit enough heat to penetrate the hair. Invest in a professional level straightening irons as they release concentrated heat, which is more effective in straightening the hair. Such irons are also made of ceramic materials, which prevent damage to the hair due to the heat.
- At least once a week, apply olive oil on your hair. Then wrap your head in a towel and leave it for 45 minutes. Then rinse your hair using a mild shampoo. This will not only help in keeping your hair straight, but will also keep them smooth and shiny.
- In a bowl, mix half an avocado, 1 egg yolk and 1 tablespoon of olive oil. Gently massage this on your hair and leave it for half an hour. Rinse in cold water and then dry with a hair dryer.
- Applying vegetable oil is also a good option. Once a month, massage your hair with any vegetable oil and wrap it with a towel for 10 minutes. Then rinse thoroughly. This will keep the hair shiny and strong.
- Grate a fresh coconut and in a bowl mix it with equal parts of limejuice. Now, massage this mixture into your hair and leave it on for 20 minutes. Then rinse your hair thoroughly and straighten your hair with a flat iron. The hair will stay straight for a longer duration as the mixture coats the hair shafts, preventing dehydration.
- Take 8 teaspoons of mayonnaise in a bowl. Add 2 eggs and mix to make a smooth paste. Apply this mixture on the hair like a mask and leave it for 30 minutes. Rinse off the hair mask in cool water and then apply a few drops of olive oil.
- Yogurt is also a good ingredient in preventing the hair from drying. It restores the moisture in the hair and makes it smooth. Apply yogurt once a week to keep your hair healthy and straight in humidity. Cover your hair fully with yogurt and then wrap your head in a cling film. Allow it to set for one hour and then wash off.
- Mix equal parts of apple cider vinegar in equal parts of water and then wash your hair with it. After that let the hair dry naturally.
These maintenance tips should help you flaunt sleek, straight hair during the humid season. Just pick your favorite remedy and get working towards achieving poker straight mane, even during the muggy season.